HCC Property Services Intranet

Frequently asked questions

How do contractors apply for the Register of Contractors?

An application form can be downloaded from this website. Please ensure that you have read the section concerning the minimum requirements for applying and meet these before downloading an application form.

Alternatively, should you experience problems with the website, they should apply in writing, stating the type(s) of work they wish to be registered for, and provide evidence of your insurance cover to:

Business Information Team
Property Services
Three Minsters House
76 High Street
SO23 8UL

What happens when contractors apply for the Register?

A letter is issued to the contractor requesting evidence of the required insurances from their insurance company or broker and a list of the work categories is attached. If the type(s) of work undertaken by the contractor fall within one or more of the Register’s categories and evidence of the required insurances has been received, they will be sent an Application Pack. The Application Form must be completed and returned with all the associated information.

How long does the process take?

Most applications are completed within three to six months of return of all the relevant information. However, there is no set timescale and the process can depend on a number of factors, some of which are outside our control, eg provision of good references.

What are the minimum Health and Safety Requirements/Standards for a contractor?

Contractors must ensure that health and safety (H&S) of their employees and others is of paramount importance and that H&S is considered first. All contractors must have appropriately documented systems and policies and be able to demonstrate compliance with them at all times. Their employees must be regularly trained and kept informed and the company will need to regularly monitor to ensure that the highest standards of safety are maintained at all times. Contractors must ensure that any sub-contractors they employ are able to satisfy the same minimum H&S requirements/standards (see Health and Safety Performance Standards (Microsoft Word, 393KB)). Contractor’s management systems and accident track record are also checked.

What is the difference between the Register of Contractors and the Buy with Confidence list operated by Trading Standards?

The 'Buy with Confidence' initiative is a partnership between companies in Hampshire and the County Council to assist residents in avoiding 'rogue traders', etc. Trading Standards assess retailers of services and goods to ensure that they comply with consumer legislation. The vetting procedure includes criminal and civil proceedings checks, knowledge of consumer laws and an effective complaints procedure. This scheme does not assess the financial standing of the business nor the competence of the contractor to undertake construction work in terms of the health and safety legislation. Similarly it cannot be guaranteed that their work will never give rise to complaint, but should this be the case, any difficulty will be dealt with fairly.

What is a UTR?

A UTR is a Unique Tax Reference number that replaced CIS cards in the middle of 2007. Any contractor who undertakes work for Hampshire County Council must hold a UTR. Although the register contains details of the number, the County Treasurer maintains the information. The UTR has no expiry date and applies for all contractors including Asbestos work and Sole Traders.

What is performance monitoring?

Contractor performance is an important factor in selection of firms for future work opportunities and consequently all the contractors on the Register are subject to performance monitoring, including health and safety, when they undertake works. Individual contracts are assessed using contractor appraisal forms which are completed by both the project officer and the client. Site Safety Checks and Audits are also undertaken and the results of these assessments, together with any incidents/accidents, are analysed every month. This information is reported to Senior Managers in Property Services. Poor performance leads to contractors being included on a list of firms requiring additional monitoring, until improved performance is demonstrated and, in serious or persistent cases, to suspension or removal from the Register. Contractors included on the list of firms requiring additional monitoring are flagged on the Register to communicate the concerns raised to others.

What are Contract Standing Orders?

Hampshire County Council must, by law, meet standing orders with respect to contracts for the execution of works which provide for securing best value and regulating the way tenders are invited. These Contract Standing Orders form part of the County Council’s Constitution and set out the administrative procedure that must be followed in seeking tenders and letting contracts for the supply of services and works.

Further information about The Constitution and Contract Standing Orders

I am a member of CHAS, EXOR, Safe Contractor (or another relevant SSIP Membership). Is this sufficient evidence that I meet the Health and Safety Criteria for HCC’s register?

A: Evidence of membership, e.g. registration or accreditation to these schemes is sufficient in conjunction with satisfying the other non-safety criteria set out in the application form to be included on the Register except Constructionline (who do not assess the Health and Safety core criteria). The membership must be maintained to meet the requirements. Section C3 of the application form must be completed.


Contact Property Services

tel 01962 845079

email registered.contractor@hants.gov.uk

Hampshire County Council
Business Information Team
Property Services
Three Minsters House
76 High Street
SO23 8UL