Gosport Lees Lane North bus priority works
The aim of the works is to improve traffic flow for Eclipse E1 and E2 and other bus services.
The works will replace outdated equipment at the existing traffic signals at the A32 Forton Road/The Crossways/Lees Lane North junction and provide a contra flow bus only lane on Lees Lane north to improve traffic flow for Eclipse E1 bus services. It will also provide high quality bus stops on Lees Lane North and The Crossways
The scheme is due to start 1 July 2013 and to end in October 2013 and the contractor for the works is Rocon Contractors Ltd.
Impact on traffic during the works
Temporary traffic signals will be in place during the works and some footpath diversions will be needed so there will be some periods of disruption, so please leave extra time for your journey. However, access to businesses and local facilities will be maintained at all times.
Summary of the proposals
- Download or view diagram showing the proposals
- Contra-flow bus only lane on Lees Lane North.
- Extended parking hours permitted on the north side of Lees Lane and new parking and loading bays to replace two parking spaces lost on Lees Lane North for the contra-flow bus only lane.
- New give-way junction at the end of the one-way section of Lees Lane to give priority to buses.
- Bus priority for Eclipse E1 buses, on The Crossways and Lees Lane North approaches to The Crossways/A32 Forton Road/Lees Lane North junction.
- Safety and capacity improvements for all general traffic and buses through the junction, by upgrading the existing traffic signals at the junction.
- New bus stop and shelter on Lees Lane North and upgrading of existing bus shelter on The Crossways.
- Both stop improvements include high quality shelters with facilities including 24 hour CCTV for passenger security and screens, providing real time bus, train and ferry times together with local information, news and weather.
Background and funding arrangements
The first phase of the South East Hampshire Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) opened in April 2012. First Hampshire & Dorset (First Bus) bus services, E1 and E2 use the new Eclipse BRT busway for part of their journey. It enables those buses to bypass the worst of the congestion and thus offer fast, reliable journey times between Gosport and Fareham. At both ends of the busway, in Fareham to the north and Gosport to the south, BRT routes E1 and E2 rejoin the on-road network.
Following studies and consultation with First Bus, problems on the Gosport BRT network were identified. Studies demonstrated that by providing junction improvements, including bus priority measures, journey times could be improved on the A32 at the Brockhurst Roundabouts and at The Crossways/ Lees Lane/ Lees Lane North junction.
Funding for the two schemes has come from the Department for Transport Better Bus Area Fund money awarded to Transport for South Hampshire, which is intended for bus related measures that will help to create growth and cut carbon.