Consultation on western access to Gosport, Newgate Lane improvements, and potential Stubbington bypass
11 March 2014
A report "Improving Access to Fareham and Gosport" will be considered at a decision day meeting of the Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment on 17 March 2014. This has been brought forward from 1 April at the request of the Executive Member.
Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment decision day 17 March 2014. See documents tab to download the report
Newgate Lane improvements
For information about the Newgate Lane improvements please see the separate Newgate Lane page.
7 October 2013: Executive Member decisions
On 7 October 2013 the Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment made important decisions on western access to Gosport, Newgate Lane improvements, and potential Stubbington bypass. A report summarising the responses to the public consultation was also approved.
The key decisions are that:
Authority is given to finalise the detailed design of the proposals for the northern section of Newgate Lane.
Interim measures at Peel Common roundabout are developed for further local public consultation.
Full scheme options are developed for Peel Common roundabout for further consultation in conjunction with proposals for a Stubbington Bypass.
The focus of the development work for the route of a Stubbington bypass should be the blue or red routes or combinations or variants thereof and that the green route is not pursued as a priority corridor of interest.
Subject to the outcome of the on-going technical assessments, the focus of the development work for the section of the Stubbington Bypass west of Newlands Farm should be the blue route corridor of interest, avoiding Oxleys Coppice.
Proposals are developed for an improvement scheme for the southern section of Newgate Lane, either independent from a Stubbington bypass or, if the funding position allows, as a possible early delivery phase of a Stubbington bypass.
The above schemes are developed with a view to inclusion as policy within the relevant emerging local plans.
Related decision: Strategic transport infrastructure plan
The Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment also approved a strategic transport infrastructure plan for Fareham and Gosport
About the public consultation
Hampshire County Council ran a public consultation on proposals to improve Newgate Lane and the western access to Gosport including a Stubbington bypass. The consultation ended on 9 September 2013.
The proposals aim to help address existing traffic problems on the Gosport peninsula to improve strategic east west and north south routes and to enhance access to the Solent Enterprise Zone.
In the consultation the County Council:
- invited early views from residents and businesses on possible routes for the Stubbington bypass and related improvements
- presented detailed plans for the proposed improvements to the northern section of Newgate Lane between Palmerston Drive and Tanners Lane
- asked for views on interim measures to improve the Peel Common roundabout
What happens next
- a summary of the responses to the consultation has now been published, see above.
- your comments received in the consultation will now be considered and taken into account in the detailed design of the Newgate northern section scheme
- work on Newgate Lane northern section will start early in 2014
- your comments on the Peel Common roundabout interim proposals will be considered and we will consult locally on more detailed proposals early in 2014
- your comments on the Western Access to Gosport will be considered by the County Council alongside the necessary environmental and technical assessment of the proposals including all the potential corridors of interest for a potential Stubbington bypass. Any decision on a preferred corridor will be the subject of future consultation.
You can still download the detailed consultation document:
Download the detailed consultation document 7 MB (22 pages)
Exhibitions of the plans
The plans were displayed at four locations:
- Gosport Discovery Centre: 22 July to 29 July 2013
- Fareham Library: 29 July to 5 August 2013
- Stubbington Library: 8 July to 9 September
- Lee on the Solent Library: 8 July to 9 September
Consultation drop-in sessions
Seven consultation drop-in sessions were held at five locations between 8 July and 16 July. About 500 people came to the sessions to see the plans and discuss the proposals.
More details about the proposals
Existing traffic problems in the area need to be addressed, including the provision of improved transport infrastructure to the Solent Enterprise Zone.
A consultation with the public will help establish a plan for the future development and delivery of highway schemes within the Gosport peninsula.
Newgate Lane (northern section)
Detailed proposals have been developed for a major improvement scheme for the B3385 Newgate Lane between and including the junctions with Palmerston Drive at the northern end and Peel Common roundabout to the south.
Peel Common Junction
Interim improvements to Peel Common junction include the provision of traffic light controls on the roundabout and revised pedestrian, cycle and bus stop facilities. Public views will help inform the technical work on further development of these plans which will be subject to further consultation within the local area.
Western Access to Gosport including a Stubbington Bypass
This includes improvements to the A27 between Titchfield and Segensworth and a bypass for the village of Stubbington. Initial work has identified three principal route corridors for a Stubbington bypass.
improving the B3334 Gosport Road from Peel Common roundabout, then providing a new junction with a bypass route to the east of Stubbington, and linking via a new road junction into the B3334 Titchfield Road to the north of Stubbington
providing a new bypass route from the B3385 Newgate Lane at a point to the north of the Peel Common waste water treatment plant, to the south-western corner of the HMS Collingwood site, following its western boundary, and then turning west towards a new road junction at the B3334 Titchfield Road north of Stubbington
improving the existing Longfield Avenue from its junction with Newgate Lane westwards to a point near the north-western corner of the HMS Collingwood site, where the route leaves Longfield Avenue and heads west towards a new junction with the B3334 Titchfield Road north of Stubbington