CAP - Community Alcohol Partnership
Aims and objectives
The Hampshire Community Alcohol Partnership, aim is to develop a culture where both adults and young people drink responsibly, minors are only able to access alcohol under responsible and informed supervision, and safe consumption limits are understood.
There have been a number of successful initiatives in Hampshire around retail sales and test purchases from Trading Standards and the Police. The failure rate in Hampshire is now in low single figure percentages.
For the last two years the summer Anti Social Behaviour campaign has seen year on year reductions across a number of measures. However Young people (over and under 18) are drinking alcohol in public places and becoming involved in anti social behaviour, vandalism and drink related litter.
The purpose of the partnership is therefore to:
- Reduce the general supply of alcohol to under 18s in particular proxy purchasing and to raise awareness of the dangers associated with this.
- Raise awareness and educate parents and young people of the consequences and risk associated with drinking alcohol irresponsibly
- Develop a responsible retailing partner ethos in the CAP area for both Off and On trade members.
- Reduce and maintain low levels of alcohol related incidents by both adults & young people e.g. violent crime, anti-social behaviour, criminal damage and litter.
- Increase NEET (Not in Education Employment or Training) referrals through pilot and therefore reduce the risk of involvement in alcohol related crime in this area.
- To operate and effective partnership.
Two pilot areas have been chosen - Gosport and Hayling Island.
The largest of the two areas consisting of 52 off licences and 48 on licences and 2 clubs.
Gosport is to the south of Fareham based on the south coast. Its population is just over 80,000. The larger percent of this population is made up of under 40 year olds. There are 3 secondary schools and a sixth form college. Gosport is a mix of residential; industrial and commercial areas with a night time economy area.
16 Off licences; 13 On licences (Public houses) plus holiday camps and hotels.
Hayling Island is to the south of Havant, with the main transport link being one road onto the island. Hayling Island has the second highest population in the Borough of Havant – 17,000. It is primary a residential area with 5 schools, of which one is a secondary.
Help us stamp out underage sales of age restricted products
- Report an under age sale
- phone the hotline 01962 833620
Winchester SO22 5PW
Follow us on Twitter