Household waste recycling centres: public consultation
Outcomes of the consultation
Now available: The full report on the public consultation including responses to the six proposals
Economy, Transport & Environment Select Committee
The consultation results were used to inform decisions about the future of the Household Waste Recycling Centre service that were considered at the Economy, Transport & Environment Select Committee meeting on 23 October 2014.
Executive Member decision day
Overview of the proposals set out in the consultation
The HWRC service costs around £10 million a year to run, so we have been looking at different options that will enable us to continue delivering a high quality service while reducing overall costs. A new management contract is due to start in 2015, providing an opportunity to introduce new services and policies that can help to deliver future savings or deliver an income to recover some of the costs of the service.
The six options were chosen following a full assessment of our existing HWRC network, site user surveys, focus groups, testing of cost models and research into best practice from other authorities.
The options being considered are:
- Closing one or more sites that do not represent good value for money.
- Introducing measures to reduce the amount of trade waste wrongfully disposed of at sites
- Accepting waste from small local businesses for a fee.
- Charging for the disposal of DIY waste to help recover some of the cost of dealing with these waste types.
- Reviewing our site opening hours to negotiate lower management costs
- Working with charities or communities to increase reuse of furniture and other items
Common questions from the consultation
Responses to the HWRC consultation raised a number of questions about our services and how we manage waste in Hampshire. We have put together the information below to try and answer the most frequently asked questions. We hope you find this information useful, but for any further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.